Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thrifty Thursday



Jeff and I love good food.  Most nights I'll spend time preparing a nice meal, but that doesn't mean it can't be fast, easy and inexpensive. We're constantly inventing recipes and trying new things, but I have a few go-to meals when we just want something easy or when the budget is tight. None of these are gourmet by any means, but they always hit the spot.

Macaroni and cheese with hot dogs - Dinner for two under $2! We stock up on mac & cheese and hot dogs when they're on sale (usually we can get a box for around 30 cents!). Boxed macaroni stores well in the pantry, and you can freeze hot dogs. Many times I'll double the recipe so we both have lunch the next day.

Chili dogs - They're easy to prepare and you can make eight chili dogs for under $5!

Tuna Casserole - egg noodles, canned tuna, cream of mushroom and frozen peas are all inexpensive. You can make a giant casserole for around $5!

Goulash - I always loved when my grandma made goulash, now I understand why she made it so often - lots of food for little money. All you need is a pound of ground beef (we normally use ground turkey), macaroni noodles, canned diced tomatoes, frozen corn, canned tomato sauce, spices and voila! All of those ingredients are things I buy when they're on sale and I can keep on hand.

My best friend Lynna recently told me about Iowa Girl Eats (It’s a good blog, go check it out). Earlier this month she posted about cooking on a budget. It’s a detailed breakdown of ways to save money on meals. If you’re looking for more ways to cut food costs, check out her post here.

(Photo via Kraft)

No comments: