Monday, September 12, 2011

Pumpkin Spice for the Thrifty

About this time each year I start getting super excited for fall. Yes, the cooler temperatures are nice, but mostly, I just need to satisfy my year-long craving for a pumpkin spice latte.

Jeff and I walked by Starbucks the other day, and saw the pumpkin spice latte sign (thank you, Jesus!). Then he looks over and says, "You're gonna have a $35 Starbucks bill this week, aren't you?"

"No! Maybe ...," I said in an ashamed voice.

Well, I decided to make my husband (and wallet) happy by making a homemade version of my fall favorite.






Ingredients:
1 t vanilla
2 T sugar
1 C milk
1/4 t pumpkin pie spice
1.5 oz espresso (I used 1/4 C strong coffee)

Optional ingredient (for the morning drinker):
1 jigger whipped-cream-flavored vodka

Directions:
1. Brew your strong coffee or espresso.
2. In a small pan, combine vanilla, sugar, milk, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
3. Pour coffee and milk mixture into mug
4. Add vodka, if desired (I'll never tell if I added it to mine at 9 a.m. or not) (OK, I did. So what, who cares?).

It wasn't exactly the same as Starbucks, but it was close and just as delicious. The best part was already having the ingredients in the house. Instead of about $5, it was basically free!

(Mug from PotteryBarn)





3 comments:

Andy said...

You, my friend, are simply fabulous! I love your blog!!! Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

Andy! Thanks so much! I've been wanting to start one for awhile now, but finally just did it. I'm so happy to hear someone enjoys it! You made my day :)

Ellie said...

I love it too!