Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thrifty Thursday



We finally broke down and turned the heat on the day before Thanksgiving. Now we're keeping the thermostat at a conservative 65 degrees. For us, we would rather put on warm clothes and use a blanket than be shocked when an astronomical electric bill comes in the mail. November's electric bill was only $65 and I was happy about that. If I remember, I even try to turn the thermostat down farther before I leave for work. Since we rent, I don't want to go to the expense of installing a programmable thermostat (although I'm still considering it). When I get home from work and start cooking dinner, it doesn't take long for the house to warm up again.

We watch the amount of lights that are on in the house - making sure a closet light or the patio lights don't get left on can really make a difference. Other small things include only running a full wash machine or dishwasher and unplugging electronics that arent being used (many still pull a small amount of electricity, even when off). Also, as hard as it is for me to not plug in all the Christmas lights every night, only plugging them in when necessary will help, too.

What are ways you try to cut your electric bill?

Image via.

No comments: