Monday, March 5, 2012

Sauerkraut Soup

I realize sauerkraut soup doesn't sound that appetizing, but this is one of those things you really need to try before you write it off.

We recently had reuben sandwiches for lunch and I had some sauerkraut to use up, so I looked up a few recipes. This one had nothing but great reviews so I decided to give it a try.





















I wanted to try to reduce the calories of the original recipe and also, cook it in an hour instead of a crock pot. Jeff and I both loved it, so much I've made it twice in the last week!

Here's the recipe I used, adapted from allrecipes.com.

1 (10.75 oz.) can reduced-fat condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.75 oz.) can reduced-fat condensed cream of chicken soup
2 1/2 C water
4 C chicken broth
1/2 pound sauerkraut
1 onion, finely diced
1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
1 pound red potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
1 pound smoked turkey sausage, sliced
1 t dried dill weed
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
 
In a 6 quart stock pot, boil the sliced carrots, potatoes, and onion until tender, drain. Meanwhile, blend the cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, water, and chicken broth in a separate bowl, pour over the cooked vegetables and bring to a boil. In a medium skillet, fry the sliced turkey sausage and garlic until hot, add to stock pot. Season with dill, salt and pepper.

No comments: